Wednesday, September 17, 2008

All about Islam class

August 22, 2004 from muttaqoon.blogdrive.com

Asalam alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

I don't write about personal experiences in this blog, but there is an exception to every rule. I know that Allah(swt) is always aware of my situation, and He knows when I REALLY am having a difficult time. Alhamdulillah, just when I seem to be down to my hands & knees looking for a way out the rut, He gives me something that makes me see the perfection and wisdom of Islam with such clarity as I had never seen before.

Today for the first time in 6 years, I set out towards a masjid that had classes for sisters with the goal of meeting sisters. When you live in an isolated area without Muslims you can practice Islam, but there is always an empty feeling because you're doing it by yourself. You don't have anyone to say salaams to, or hear "walaykom asalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu" back. Most people may take that for granted, but when I call my butcher's wife to ask her if the goat meat is in, and she says "Salaam Alaykom Warahmatullah" in that distinct accent my heart lights up. Allahu alam, I don't necessarily understand the feeling, but its a unity, a togetherness and a better sense of self that you get from other muslims. (I get sidetracked...sorry)

Anyhow, so the reason why I wasn't planning on learning much is because the class is really basics... like salaah and how to make wu'du and things like that. I wanted to meet sisters who wanted to learn as much about Islam as I did. Someone who loved it as much and someone who got excited when talking about it. Someone who would boost my eman and help be a reminder to me about the beauty of Islam. Someone who can relate to living in the "dirty south" as a practicing muslimah. As it says in the Quran:

"The believers, men and women, are Awliya' (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another, they enjoin (on the people) Al-Ma'roof (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden); they perform As-Salaat (Iqaamat-as-Salaat, establish prayer for the rememberance of Allaah) and give the Zakaat (charity), and obey Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah will have His Mercy on them. Surely Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise." (At-Tawbah 9:71)

In the true essence of the word, I needed Awliya'. Tangible Awliya at that. I had heard these horror stories about "corrupt" sisters in muslim communities. Sister's who were really harsh with new muslims, or even muslims who were just beginning to practice, or sister's who were really not practicing and arrogant. So, on the two hour drive over to the masjid I was a tad nervous. Not so much about the sisters, but if they would like me and if we would see eye to eye (I to I).

When I got in there and began to talk to the sisters it was incredible the amount of support and love and sisterhood that I felt. I never had that before. You don't really know how much you're missing out on until you finally see it for yourself. It's like someone telling you a Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese frosting is good, and sure it sounds good and you want it... but once you try it- it exceeds all your expectations. They shared their stories of reversion, or attempting to revert, of dealing with ignorant people, and even how they dealt with bouts of low eman. It made me see the beauty of Islam in way I hadn't before. How seamlessly it fit into these womens' lives just as it did in mine. How its made each of their lives better in their own way, and of course by making them people who are more concious of their surroundings, of their Lord, of their Purpose. Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah. I am so glad that I went to that class it exceeded all my expectations. I didn't plan on learning much, but today I learned something that can't be learned from books. When you see Islam being practiced with sincerity, and the love of Allah in the hearts of people, its an automatic catalyst for your own eman. The class is going to be lead by the Imam of the masjid who is mashaAllah really good. I'm excited not only to learn more now, but also to be a more helpful and active part in the community. I think the point of this post is that if you know something is good for you, but you havent done it yet... take the iniative and do it. InshaAllah it will beneficial for you and you dont know how much longer you have left, so next week/month/year may be too late. And if you're running low on eman, pray to Allah(swt), He hears and sees you and He knows what is in your heart. Have faith and patience and InshaAllah He will make a way for you which you hadn't even thought of.

Asalam alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

No comments: